Friday 7 October 2011

Cold, Wet drum brake locks up?

I've got a '98 Wrangler with 84,000 miles on it. I assume the brake pads have never been changed which I am planning on doing soon. My question has arisen because on several occasions now after I was driving in the rain and then let the vehicle sit for several hours, I started driving again and the first time I push the breaks (even very lightly) one of the rear wheels will completely lock up and the tire just starts dragging and screeching loudly leaving a hefty skid mark behind. Is this just being caused by the old brake pads and drums which need replacing and turning, respectively? Or will I need to plan on repairing something else in there? Thanks!
Cold, Wet drum brake locks up?
I am thinking that the brake shoes you have back there are next to none for brake lining.I would really be thinking if I am not wrong the brake shoes on this jeep have no lining left.That is what might be causing the brake grab.On some brake linings they use rivets to hold the brake lining on the metal shoes with bonding.Other time they only use just bonding and no rivets just so you can go farther on a set of brake shoes.Its up to the customer witch brake shoes to use for the car.Have you brake drums checked also for scaring and out of roundness by taking them to a machine shop or just get new drums for the rear.And after you have gone and done all that check your wheel cylinders on the rear to see if anything is leaking.If it is you can get replacement parts for the hydralic system.But if you need to get into that have someone there to pump the brake pedal to bleed the system to get the air out of the system but make sure you have plenty of brake fluid for the job.Good luck! hgm20002000@yahoo.com
Cold, Wet drum brake locks up?
I just recently had this exact same problem with my '90 Dodge Daytona. Replace your brake pads as soon as possible. Cleaning the brake shoe(the one that's locking) and making sure there are no leaks should do the trick. I had to have the shoe replaced for it to stop locking. Hopefully all you have to do is replace the brake pads. I waited so long to do so that the rotors needed to be resurfaced and it cost me a pretty penny. ($200)
  • database
  • rodents
  •