Friday 7 October 2011

What Year Did Jeep Wranglers start getting Stock Rear Disk Brakes?

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition (TJ) that I was doing its scheduled differential fluid change on, and I found Broken teeth on the Rear Differential Gears. Well I have heard that the ring and Pinion gears are a big hassle to change out without special tools, So I was hoping to find another Jeep at a Junk Yard to buy a used differential. Well I also want to kill two birds with one stone and find a rear diff. with rear disk brakes since i have drums right now. So this brings me to my question, What year do Jeep Wranglers start getting stock rear disk brakes, if they even have started...... also, Would the part be compatible to fit on my Jeep? I am not sure what gearing I have right now, but I do know that it is not a limited slip differential. So of course, It would be even more cool to kill three birds with one stone and find a rear diff. with a limited slip diff. also. Does the limited slip diff. come standard on any models? Would a Cherokee Diff be Compatible? Thanks
What Year Did Jeep Wranglers start getting Stock Rear Disk Brakes?
You may as well replace the entire axle if you're going this route. A Ford 8.8 out of a1995-2001 Ford Explorer is a very common swap. It is the correct width, same lug pattern, much stronger and they are easy to find with disc brakes. You can find them around for a few hundred bux at junk yards. M.O.R.E. and many others sell kits to relocate the control arm brackets and spring perches, but you'll need to know how to weld, or know a welder to do these mods. If you go this route make sure you match the gear ratio to your front end - different front/rear ratios will blow up your transfer case when in 4wd.



The disc brake conversion won't help much for what its worth - trust me, I tried it. If you must, TeraFlex sells a conversion kit that uses mid/late 1990's ZJ brakes.



If you don't want to go this route check the jeep message boards and enthusiast sites, you are VERY likely to find a person that is doing this mod and will either give your their stock axle, or sell it to you VERY cheap. It will bolt straight in and get you up and running in the shortest amount of time for the least amount of $. Good Luck!
What Year Did Jeep Wranglers start getting Stock Rear Disk Brakes?
2003, on the Rubicons only. They are standard on all on the JK's. As for compatability, TJ axles should bolt right up. If you are in a savage yard and find a wrecked Rubicon grab both axles. They are Dana 44's and have 4.10 gears and air lockers from the factory
Chicks hate Jeeps dude.