Wednesday 21 September 2011

Why am I not getting brake fluid to my rear brakes on a 1995 Dodge B2500 Van with a 3.9l engine.?

Due to someone putting power steering fluid in my brake fluid (master cylinder). I have had to replace my front right caliper and my master cylinder. Yes I have an ABS brake system. I pressurized the new master cylinder before mounting it. We tried to gravity bleed the brakes by having the vehicle on level ground and all 4 bleeder valves opened at each wheel. We could not get any fluid to come out at rear brakes. We closed the rear bleeders and then bled the front brakes individually. They bled fine. We disconnected the brake line underneath the van that was going to rear brakes. No brake fluid. I don't know whether the problem is with the proportioner valve (does it have rubber seals in it that may have swelled up from the power steering fluid?) or do I have to bleed anything on the proportioner valve? I have tried to look up this on the internet and I either have to pay for an answer, which I do not have the money, or have found vague information about having to pressure bleed an ABS system. I'm not very schooled on this topic of ABS systems. I have a little knowledge of car maintenance and repairs, but I know nothing about the entire ABS system. I know how to change brakes and lines and such. I have front brakes, and the brake system light and ABS light has went away (turned off) since putting on the master cylinder. But you would think that not having rear brakes would keep these warning lights on. I have disk brakes on the front and drum brakes on the rear. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I just don't have the money to take it to a mechanic and I start a new job in 5 days. I have to commute 50 miles one way to my new job, and this problem just occurred. We did not replace the front brake lines because we were getting fluid from the bleeders, so are assumption is that the lines are not swelled.
Why am I not getting brake fluid to my rear brakes on a 1995 Dodge B2500 Van with a 3.9l engine.?
the proportioning valve will get off center sometimes when your doing a brake job on them from hitting the brake pedal to hard or not following the right bleeding procedure on it,and sometimes the only way to correct the problem is to replace the valve,that will cause the warning lights to come on as well as cause you to not have any rear brakes on it,good luck.
Why am I not getting brake fluid to my rear brakes on a 1995 Dodge B2500 Van with a 3.9l engine.?
your welcome,those are hard to get brakes back on them once the valve gets off center,good luck on it.

Report Abuse


I understand gravitiy feeding not working but you havent tried pumping your brakes and hold down then opening the bleeders? I am not sure if abs makes that impossible but I have always bled brakes by having someone pump and hold the brake pedal while I open the bleeder then close the bleeder. this allows the air to be pushed out and so forth. I keep doing this until I get fluid. One important part is while the bleeder is open the person can not lift their foot off the brake pedal or it will such air back into the line. So keep the foot down until the bleeder is closed.
I would say it is you proportioning valve or the fact that your trying to gravity bleed it just try the old stand by go to the farthest wheel from the master cylinder ( make sure all the bleeders are tight by the way) and have someone in the truck pump the brakes about 4 or 5 times hold them hard crack the bleeder screw hold pressure on the pedal when it goes to the floor the tighten the bleeder screw repeat this till no more bubbles come out make sure to check the fluid in the master cylinder then repeat at each wheel