Wednesday 21 September 2011

I have a VL commodore with rear drum brakes that need to be fixed?

My VL commodore's back brakes decided to lock up when i was bout to get a roady done.. I was told when i'd bought it the brakes had just been replaced, but somehow i don't think so, the springs and clips had come apart causing them to wear away inside and locking up.. The car is just sitting there while my other car is in desperate need for tlc, so i really need to get it fixed.. What would be involved and while i'm there would it just be best to change over to disc brakes.. It seems odd that that it's drum brake anyway, doesn't it?
I have a VL commodore with rear drum brakes that need to be fixed?
Why would you want to go through the trouble of trying to change a whole unit? It just sounds like someone put them back together wrong.



Nothing wrong with drum brakes. You can buy a hardware kit and new pads for about $50.00, and have the drums turned for about $25. Not that hard to replace. New assemblies would be much more expensive.
I have a VL commodore with rear drum brakes that need to be fixed?
What would be involved is you taking it to a shop, getting an estimate, then you either authorize the repairs or you dont. If you dont, then I dont know from there, if you do, they replace the shoes, hardware, either resurface the drums or replace them, check the wheel cylinders etc.... As far as converting drum over to disc, it's expensive. I would shy away from that.