Wednesday 21 September 2011

Is it simpler to change front or rear end brakes?

I'm building my first hotrod, and have come up to my next problem. (hoping these will e getting fewer.) I have an s10 frame set up with a ford 8.8 inch from a mustang. I want the lug pattern on the wheels to match. Will it be easier to change the rear brakes from Ford drums to Chevys, or the front Chevy discs to the Ford pattern?
Is it simpler to change front or rear end brakes?
Why not just put Ford rims on the back and Chevy on the front? If your building a hot rod you probably won鈥檛 have the same size tires on front and rear; they won鈥檛 be interchangeable. It鈥檚 not like you鈥檙e going to be rotating them. The easiest thing is keep the rims with like axles. That sees like the logical choice tom me. You can certainly buy 4 aftermarket rims of the same design, only with 2 different bolt patterns.



If you must insist, though; the BEST thing would be to convert the rear to disc. The easier would be changing over the front to Ford. I think you can get rotors for that purpose from hot rod part suppliers. No spindles required.
Is it simpler to change front or rear end brakes?
ideally the disk brakes would be easier to change because in the long run you'll have to replace the spindles, hubs, and calibers and maybe the brake line--you wanna avoid the brake lines its expensive trust me i know in the rear you have wheel cylinders hubs, and a messy take apart on the brakes so my suggestion--change the fronts
you're going to be replacing just about everything anyway, so you might as well convert the rear to disc brakes while you're at it.
It will be easier to buy a set of uni-lug rims. If that is not an option you can buy adaptors.