Wednesday 21 September 2011

Drum brake to disc brake conversion?

I have a 1990 Lincoln Towncar that I would like to change from rear rum brakes to disc brakes. Is this possbile and if so is there a kit that comes with all the parts needed? Where could I buy that?
Drum brake to disc brake conversion?
Rear disc brakes were an option on that year. You may be able to find what you need in a salvage yard or from the dealer.
Drum brake to disc brake conversion?
why? there is nothing else on the car that you could tinker with? sorry just wondered why you would want to take on such a task that has no benefit at all to the car. You could probably find a newer model and switch everything over.
If I were a mechanic I would be able to help ya here.. LOL..

But I did marry one...
you really just shouldn't mess with them - its not worth it. the front brakes do 75% of the braking any way - just upgrade the front. rear drum brakes are actually a good thing. they wear longer - don't get as much dirt on them, and they make a good parking brake. put your money into some good pads and rotors for the front.